Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Every Stitch Counts....

I just couldn't stand it any longer. This quilt {Quilty 365} needed to be in the hoop and that was that. You know how it is. Once a decision is made about the next quilt-in-the-hoop, it's just seems to be time!
Next up in the hoop!
I did manage to wait until the Tree of Life quilt was ready for binding, but it was touch and go. Not that this quilt was hard to work on at all. Oh no. These colors were perfectly satisfying to have in the hoop. The binding was an interesting choice as I really thought the orange/peach would give it a too matchy, matchy vibe. Nothing else popped though and using a brown or black just seemed boring. Surprisingly, this drab peach works well, especially when it's folded over and such a tiny little bit of color is all that will be showing. It was thrilling to find an larger, much older piece of plaid fabric that worked wonderfully for the binding. It's been hanging around in the stash totes for years and years! Now to get it all hand stitched to the back of the quilt.
Ready to stitch down the binding
Trying to keep up with the 6and6in2018 was problematic this month, just like last month. This little Tidbits quilt has most of the little 'hills' stitched down though. Only a few left to go now. Well, maybe it's more than a few, but still.... My granddaughter was at our house for five days and nights so this little bit of hand work felt like serious progress! The applique probably would have been all finished, but there was so much up and down, putting it aside etc., that finally I just folded it up and put it away. Didn't want a loose pin to find it's way into her foot or something equally traumatic!
Just a little more applique left...
Also for the 6and6in2018 challenge, I pulled out the Solids challenge quilt and finally, finally made a decision about the border. I've been agonizing about where to take it from these simple, punchy blocks. I've dithered between a clamshell type border, pieced triangles, applique work and everything in between. The funny thing, is that it probably won't even matter what the border looks like. It's just that the quilt is so small at this point, it's going to need something! I'm still cutting out the pieces, but as you can see, solids are not much in the equation anymore either. That was a huge decision too, as solids was the initial 'challenge' goal. It's a relief to let that go and just do my own thing, unfettered from restriction, from here on out.

So yes, it's a little strange, but I'm not sewing the center of the quilt together until I know exactly how long the borders will be. Of course I know what the measurement is supposed to be, but that doesn't mean it will actually happen. It feels safer to wait and adjust the sashing widths as necessary rather than try for a skinny coping border solution. Lots of confidence that my border will be wonky huh? Yep. It's gonna be a three deep sawtooth border. Lots of wiggle room there with the way I sew!
Starting to cut the border pieces...
And here's the little munchkin who kept G'ma and Papa hopping this past week. Wowsers, was I tired by the end of her time with us. Two year olds just don't fit seamlessly into our lives anymore!
Taking over Grandma's bed...
Good times though. She's such a little bundle of sunshine and love! Wouldn't trade it for all the quilting time in the world. Although.... now that my time is more freed up? Can't wait to get back to the quilting room! Linking up to 6and6in2018! Only worked on those two projects {Tidbits and Solids Challenge} for the month, but even a little bit of progress is better than none?

17 comments:

  1. for some reason I thought you were done with your quilty 365

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilty 365 keeps drawing me back to the hoop too, though it's going to take awhile since the sashing and borders made it king size. These quilts sure have a way of telling you what they want and when. Your sweet little granddaughter will fill your lives with love and laughter, and that is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our grandson is 19 months - I totally understand your comments. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for going forward with Quilty 365 :) I've not kept up with the 6/6 thing since the first month of it / she doesn't even visit around and seems disinterested / it's something that I am not bothering with going forward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spending time with grandkids is time you just can't compare to anything else. But still, enjoy getting back into the sewing rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your tree quilt - I can't wait to see a full picture of it with all your lovely quilting. The 365 quilt is going to look marvellous as well :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The binding you have choosen I like, and I'm looking forward to seeing the tree quilt when it is finished. Warm greetings

    ReplyDelete
  8. love seeing your circles in a hoop. Happy Stitching
    cute photo of your sweet granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love to read your blog posts, you are one of three that I always read and get inspiration from and now, I'm back in love with circles. That first photo is a winner, absolutely love it and so many wonderful quilts you've made>????

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO happy to see that the 365 quilt is in the hoop... it's an awesome quilt and will be so fun to work on! I bet you finish it in no time because it will keep drawing you to the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many things to look at. I love the binding on your tree quilt. And it was fun to see one of my favorite quilts (of yours) with your sweet granddaughter. The 365 is so invigorating, it will be fun to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pins and two year olds really are not the best combination. So many lovely quilts, as always. How satisfying to have found the perfect binding for the tree quilt, and to be quilting your circles now. The ongoing projects are both intriguing still.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any progress is fabulous! Your grand daughter looks so cute. Enjoy your hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like the Tree of Life and the Circles! Yup a 2 year old will wear one out at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a wonderful arrangement for Quilty 365. I haven't looked at mine in a while but you inspire me (again.) Love seeing g'dau enjoying our favorite quilt. I visited my g'son and was just as worn out. Learned to take naps when he did. How did we ever manage to survive our own? Wonderful years but where did I get the energy and where has it disappeared to?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see your Quilty 365. I still thank you for this project. Mine was done in one heart per day and it will hang next month in our upcoming quilt show. After that, I finally get to snuggle with it on the couch :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. so happy to see Quilty 365 in your hoop ! I sewed three of my squircles last night - yay !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.